FansofPaulByrom_Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toronto Review Dated 31 October 2008

Go down

Toronto Review Dated 31 October 2008 Empty Toronto Review Dated 31 October 2008

Post by Admin Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:41 am

Irish vocal group Celtic Thunder in A.C. Saturday
Celtic Thunder member surprised at vocal group's success
By ED CONDRAN • Correspondent • October 31, 2008

When creator/producer Sharon Brown tapped Paul Byrom to fill the last of five vocal spots for her pop project Celtic Thunder in 2007, Byrom, a classically trained Dubliner, thought it would be a fine way to get his foot in the door in America.
However, Byrom never expected Celtic Thunder — scheduled to perform Saturday at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City — to be headlining at arenas a year after forming.

"It's a bit mind-blowing that we're already at this level," Byrom said while calling from Toronto. "It's hard to get your head around it, but we're there and enjoying it. I can't complain. People are coming out to see us at Radio City Music Hall and the Air Canada Centre here in Toronto. It's incredible playing the big rooms. We play to big crowds. All we have to do is perform."
Byrom, 29, sings with an eclectic group of vocalists, which includes Damian McGinty,16, Keith Harkin, 22, Ryan Kelly, 27 and George Donaldson 41. Aside from the six vocal ensembles, each singer gets to solo.

"It's a great combination," Byrom said. "When we perform together, we each have to compromise by singing a bit higher or lower than we're accustomed to, but it works."
Music director Phil Coulter, a legendary Irish songwriter, producer and pianist who has worked with the Rolling Stones and Van Morrison, decides who sings what Celtic or pop classic.
"Phil knows what he's doing," Byrom said. "He typically is right on the money."
But sometimes that's not so, and the members of Celtic Thunder will let him know it.
Coulter suggested that Harkin deliver a version of James Blunt's "You're Beautiful."
"After Coulter asked Kevin to do that song he said, "I'm not having that,' " Byrom said. "So he wasn't pushed into it. If we don't think a song is for us, we'll tell Phil."

Byrom enjoys performing the Moody Blues staple "Nights in White Satin" and a version of Mark Wills' "That's a Woman" with Kelly.
"It's a pleasure doing "Nights in White Satin' since it's such a great song and it stirs so many memories for so many people," Byrom said. "I like doing the solos since I can keep my tenor where it should be. But we have a lot of fun with "That's a Woman' since Ryan and I play characters. Ryan is the darker character, which suits him. I sing the part of a good guy. The girl goes with the bad guy, so what does that say about society?"

"I'll Be Home For Christmas," Byrom's first holiday album, was released two weeks ago.
[/quote]
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://fansofpaulbyrom.webs.com/

Back to top Go down